Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Brighton Big Dog 6 hour


Photo thanks to Brighton MBC via picasa

The Brighton Big Dog is a new race for 2009, held through the sumptuous singletrack of Stanmer Park in Brighton on the south coast. A group of friends saw a gap for something like this in the area and pulled it off like seasoned event organising pros. The only thing they didn't quite manage was the weather, though it did remain dry.

I got down on Friday evening to the designated camping area (unfortunately a few miles distant from the race venue) to find the usual suspects already well settled with the mandatory pre-race barbeque and a few cold ones. My very quick camp setup which consisted basically of getting the esky out and clearing enough crawlspace in the van to sleep in. Relatively early night around midnight. A fitful, contorted night's sleep in the van ensued, wishing I'd dragged the box of seven half Peregrines (don't ask...) outside as well. I eventually did that at around 6am. Tasty bacon and egg roll in the morning along with fresh espresso, voltarol ideal race preparation. Got to the course around 10 to get ready for a midday start, PhillyD kindly assisting in setting up the stand. Had a good number of nice looking bikes there, three Swift SS's, two Hummingbirds (one SS 69er rigid, one geared and suspended) and my Gryphon. Quite a bit of interest in the bikes though we weren't in quite the ideal spot.

My expectations for the race itself were low as I'd not been feeling brilliant over the week - back not great, Dave the Ringer was an unknown quantity, and we had no Steve. We were to take on the open trio class, no singlespeed specific category. Issues with the PA system meant the race kicked off at 12.30 rather than the intended 12, handy in the end to have another half hour to get ready. It had been a little cool all morning, overcast though thankfully rain didn't look likely. Dom struck out for a blazing first lap, coming through probably top 15 overall in a 38 minute lap. His pace caught me on the hop as I had no gloves or helmet on, so just grabbed everything without thinking and headed off. Forgetting someone had taken my Swift for a spin and had dropped the saddle a good couple of inches. Due to my hasty depart, I'd not got a multitool with me either. So I did quite a bit of standing up over the course of the lap.

Out of the start area after a bit of flattish field you were straight into a pretty monster climb, long drag which then became singletrack climbing, eased off for a little bit then a short flat section of tighter stuff, then more climbing. It was a tough start to a lap. Then there was some really brilliant singletrack (well all of it on the course was great) nice fast downhills, a few roots to keep you on your toes, but most of it just perfectly packed sticky loamy soil that you could really just rail around, brilliant. The course ended up needing to be diverted due to wasps (many people stung on first lap) and made for a savage little climb virtually unrideable on a SS. Everything else was doable if you were feeling good. I was feeling only OK so walked a few sections. Back was pretty sore for the first one. It was around the 43 minute mark, well off Dom's pace... Hand over to Dave who'd never ridden big wheels previously and is at best an occasional singlespeeder so this was new territory for him. Didn't hold him back from putting in a 40 minute lap though.

Dom flew around for another and before you know it I'm out on the course again. Back felt much better second time out. Seat at correct height felt much better as well... We managed to avoid any flats or mechanicals and kept putting in steady laps without thinking of the overall race at all. Just enjoying the fantastic trails, great atmosphere, and friendly competition. My last lap I was feeling much better, the painkillers had really kicked in now and I had a strange sensation that my legs were really tired but I couldn't hurt them, back was not sore either. So I grunted up a few climbs I hadn't expected to, and was hoping to get back in enough time for us to get another lap in, but I was still a few minutes slow for that. Fortunate really as neither Dom or Dave were ready to go out anyhow.

In the end Dom and I did three, Dave two - all going a pretty solid pace and no major mishaps. Having not been paying any attention at all to where we were placed, so very pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in fourth at the wrap up. Seeing in the results that we were only 1 minute off third made me really rue that muffed first change and seat height mishap. The prize-giving ceremony was good fun, I was surprised to be called to the mtb style five placing podium, which I had to take to myself Dom and Dave already having headed off to attend to familial duties. I'd donated a frame as a prize for the event which was originally intended to be for the fastest singlespeed lap, though as there was no SS category it ended up a random prize draw. This was lucky really as Dom probably would have won it. Instead it went to a most deserving Nicky Hughes who'd placed third in the women's solo category and we'll be sorting a new Hummingbird frame for her shortly.

As a rarity among many events which are organised now by profit making companies, the Big Dog crew took the very generous and enlightened step of taking any profit they'd cleared from the event and sticking it behind the bar at a beach-front pub in Brighton. Unfortunately we had to head back to the campsite before going in to town so missed much of the free beer. In hindsight I shouldn't have been surprised how quickly thirsty mountain bikers can drink £1100 worth of booze, but I was at the time and only got one beer from it. Still, one free beer is better than no free beer.

Many thanks to Rory, Oli and all the other orgnisers and helpers in putting on what was the standout event of the year for me - and I've been to a few this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:25 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete